Author Topic: Cardiff clothes shop 70's ?  (Read 4107 times)

Squirrel

Cardiff clothes shop 70's ?
« on: June 02, 2011, 01:53:44 AM »
Hi Anyone help me ?

Trying to find the original location of a clothes shop that existed in the 70's (?)

Gabers, Gabes, Gabbers ......Clothing / fashion  trying to establish correct name and location of this business or owners that ran it (believed to be a jewish family?) - thought to be around the Hayes/Churchill way area ??

Brian white

Re: Cardiff clothes shop 70's ?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 07:58:25 PM »
If this is the shop , there was a shop on Hayes bridge road in the 1950s it was on the far end of the road opposite end to the golden cross pub.it was split in two parts as you entered the left hand side was the pawnbrokers to the right was the mens fashion shop selling up to date clothes such as cordaroy andy caps jeans leather jackets I bought a Michael Holliday shirt there.I have tried to name it but can't remember sorry,I think it did have Jewish owners.

Sitemaster

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 08:00:14 PM »
Hello Brian - thanks for joining the forum and adding your contribution.  Unfortunately, I don't have listings for the 1970's to check these things; the latest I have is 1937 I'm afraid.  Really frustrating.  Still - with Hayes Bridge Road in the 1950's as a starting point, I thought that many longer standing businesses would have been around in the 1930's too.

Upon checking the directory - I found the following listings under the Clothiers and Outfitters section:

Broucher W. J.   286 Hayes Bridge Road
Lermons, Ltd   7 & 9 Hayes Bridge Road
Lewis & Co.   289 & 290 Hayes Bridge Road
Masters & Co.  292 Hayes Bridge Road

Broucher W. J. is still trading, and is now on at 130 Whitchurch Road.
Lermons (or Lermans) could be a Jewish name (based on a brief Google search)

The other two I could find no results on.

I hope that information helps,

All the best,

Matthew

Brian white

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 10:55:45 AM »
Thank you Matthew,  I hope this won't mislead the original questioner but Masters rings a bell I do remember a navy outfitters that was on the opposite side of the road.I am puzzled by the street numbers i thought Hayes bridge road was only a small road going from the golden cross pub to the greyhound  pub on bridge street ,perhaps my memory of it is wrong thanks again for the reply.             All the best. Brian

Sitemaster

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 11:01:30 PM »
Hi Brian,

I am a little puzzled by the street numbers too.  I think that the road was longer in the past.  There's been such a change in configuration of the roads in that area, it's difficult to track back without the aid of proper maps.

Will keep my eye out though.

Thanks,

Matthew

Johnz825

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 11:55:06 AM »
Before the Demolition and then the Building of the St. Davids Centre, there used to be a Masters Clothes Shop on the opposite side of Queen St to the Principality Building, corner of the Friary and Queen St, opposite Masters was a Pub and between both, was a walkway of steps down to the Glamorganshire Canal, that ran behind Working St, via Mill lane, past the Old Custom House on Custom House St.

xtaffy2

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 10:22:05 AM »
I think the name was Jacobs, they had a pawn brokers/jewery shop one side of the road and an army and navy shop the otherside which sold cloths as well.
geoff

Raven

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 12:47:04 PM »
Hiya! I remember going to Gabers with my Father in the Sixties it was in the same street as the old Greyhound Pub I recall walking past it many times. Gabers was then a trade only store similar to today's Macro my Father was a member as he used to run a Pub in Bridgend.  I remember that all the prices of the goods where in code i.e. letters not numbers. As far as I recall not only clothes where on sale there.

Hope this helps